Saturday, July 07, 2007

Lychee- rific!

I was reading some old blog entries from this xangan i subscribed to a few years back. He wrote about lychees and how they're yummy and his mum smuggled them from China (he's from america). Then he asked, how do you pronounce it? I always thought it was always pronounced as "LIE-CHEE" but apparently, a lot of asians (or asian americans) say "LEE- CHEE" I've never even thought of pronouncing it that way, just sounds so funny to me. They say 'lee-chee' is mandarin and 'lie- chee' is cantonese, or the other way around. I also found out that a lot of people don't know what the hell they are, it's just some weird asian fruit to them, which is kinda funny to me. They are missing out. I guess it only grows in asia because a lot of my Islander friends don't know what the hell it is.

I love lychees, they're on there on my top favourite fruits. I like them in fruit form, in canned form or in jelly form. I can eat a whole bag of lychee jellies, yummm! Another thing I found out about this fruit is that it takes 5 (or 10) years for the tree to bear fruits. So there, useless facts on lychees. Gotta buy me a can of those from the asian store.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll continue on saying it as 'lie-chee' though hehe too late to change my ways now :P

JENNY said...

i dont like htem

Anonymous said...

heyhey!!of course i still remember you!! oh my, you're in new zealand? that's awesome! hey i hung out with sophie and rianne last week at alabang =) muchlove, koji.